There seem to be two, apparently contradictory beliefs around pure gold. One holds that it’s a timeless emblem of luxury and opulence, which is why it’s been adorning bodies for millennia. On the other hand, there's a prevailing myth suggesting that 24-karat gold, the purest, isn't right for making jewellery. So which is it; can 24-karat gold be made into jewellery or is there something about unalloyed gold that undermines its ornamental credentials?
As we're goldsmiths who've mastered the art of crafting with pure gold, we’re in a good position to debunk these myths and unveil the truth.
Why is it rare to see jewellery made with 24k gold?
Although you can buy 24-karat gold jewellery, it’s more common to see jewellers selling 14 or 18-karat gold. These lower purities mean the gold is alloyed with other metals, which can make the product stronger, but also dilutes the gold content and value of the metal.
So, why is pure gold not suitable for making jewellery? Here are some common reservations that hold people back:
- Softness concerns: The malleability of 24k gold often raises eyebrows. Critics argue that its softness makes it susceptible to scratches and dents. However, with precision and craftsmanship, this softness can be harnessed, allowing for more intricate designs that are a testament to the artisan's skill.
- Durability doubts: The everyday wearability of pure gold is often questioned, with people suggesting it’s more likely to break. However, if manufactured correctly, your 24-karat gold jewellery is no more prone to damage than any other piece in your collection.
- Price point: The premium price point of pure gold can be daunting. It’s true that alloyed gold of lower purity is cheaper by the gram, but it’s worth remembering that when you invest in 24k gold jewellery from 7879, you're not just buying a piece; you're securing an asset.
- Historical precedence: Historically, alloys were often used to give gold more strength, leading to the misconception that pure gold isn't durable. However, with advancements in metallurgy and innovative crafting techniques, we've been able to create gold pieces that are both resilient and retain their beauty.
Why 24k gold makes for beautiful jewellery
What’s the danger of believing these myths about why pure gold isn’t suitable for making jewellery? Only that you’ll miss out on some of the most beautiful, radiant, and naturally valuable jewellery you could ever buy.
Here are some advantages that only 24-karat jewellery offers:
- Unrivalled radiance: The glow of pure gold is distinct and unparalleled. Its deep, warm hue is a blend of nature's beauty and skilled craftsmanship. At 7879, we prioritise this genuine shine, making sure that each piece we create reflects the true essence of pure gold.
- Skin's best friend: Beyond its beauty, 24k gold is a guardian for your skin. Its hypoallergenic properties make it a sanctuary for those with sensitive skin. When you wear an inert pure gold piece, it's a gentle embrace, ensuring comfort as you make a statement.
- A tangible asset: In the world of fashion and fleeting trends, pure gold holds an enduring value. Yes, you’re showcasing a piece of art, but you're also wearing an asset. Remember, you're investing in jewellery that appreciates as you appreciate it.
- Pure integrity: Unlike alloyed gold, which contains a mix of metals, 24k gold is unadulterated. This means it retains its value, doesn't tarnish, and offers a consistent, genuine golden lustre without the risk of reactions from other metals.
Can you wear 24k gold jewellery every day?
The whispers of doubt often question whether you can buy 24-karat gold jewellery that’s suitable for everyday wear. One of the most prevalent myths surrounding pure gold is its supposed fragility. Many believe that because of its purity, 24k gold is too soft, making it prone to scratches, dents, and deformations, especially when worn daily. So, is there any truth to this?
While it's true that 24k gold is softer, it doesn't mean it's unsuitable for daily wear. When crafted with precision and expertise, pure gold can be moulded into pieces that are both resilient and elegant. The key lies in the craftsmanship. At 7879, we've mastered the art of creating pure gold jewellery that's robust enough for every day yet retains the luxurious allure that only pure gold can offer.
Our pieces are not just ornamental; they're functional, designed to be your everyday companion. Through careful design and expert craftsmanship, we ensure durability without compromising on elegance. Every curve, edge, and surface is a testament to our commitment to quality and our understanding of the modern individual's lifestyle.
Moreover, wearing 24k gold daily is more than just a fashion statement. It's a testament to one's appreciation for the finer things in life, a nod to luxury, and a commitment to sustainable and ethical choices.
How long does 24k gold jewellery last?
Let’s say we all accept that pure gold can be made into jewellery—is it really going to last? The short answer: yes. Gold, in its purest 24k form, is not just durable but also timeless. Unlike alloyed gold, which can tarnish over time due to the other metals in the mix, pure gold retains its lustrous shine and doesn't corrode.
Moreover, while alloyed gold might lose its value as fashion and preferences change, 24k gold's value is intrinsic. It's a true investment, one that can be passed down through generations, becoming a cherished heirloom. Each piece doesn't just represent a metal's worth but encapsulates memories, stories, and legacies.
Of course, like all precious things, it deserves care. With mindful maintenance, your pure gold piece can remain as radiant and resplendent as the day it first graced your skin. For those keen on ensuring their jewellery's lasting brilliance, we recommend exploring our guides on how to care for your gold and platinum and how to remove and avoid scratches on jewellery.
The final word on purity
The allure of 24k gold is not just in its shine but in its substance. Contrary to popular belief, with the right craftsmanship and care, 24k gold emerges not as a suitable choice for jewellery, but as a superior one.
At 7879, we stand by the purity, elegance, and resilience of our pieces, offering a lifetime warranty for those rare moments of damage. Ready to embrace the epitome of luxury? Explore our 24k gold collection and discover jewellery to appreciate.